xAPI Video Community of Practice
This group, as part of an open effort, has built an xAPI Video Profile that standardizes the way Experience API (xAPI) statements must be sent to a Learning Record Store (LRS). The xAPI Video Profile is currently in the draft stage, as of Oct 20, 2017.
Community Effort Sponsored By
ADL (An initiative of the US Department of Defense to improve learning)
Working xAPI Video Profile Demo:
Here is a working prototype of the Video Profile in action:
The live data from the above prototype is being recorded in a GrassBlade Cloud LRS instance. The login details are:
Login URL: https://videocop.gblrs.com/
Results and Key Advantages:
- Progress is tracked as the actual percentage of the video watched.
- Completion is calculated only based on the entire video being consumed.
- Video resumes from where the user left.
- Past progress of a user is remembered and added in calculating updated progress or completion. So, users can consume the video in parts and in any order.
- Information about segments of video played is stored and can be visualized as a neat heat map diagram.
- Relevant context information like screen size, displayed video size, video quality, volume, etc are tracked into the LRS.
- Important user interactions are captured. (Play, Pause, Seek, Volume Change, Fullscreen, etc)