xAPI Video Community of Practice
This group, as part of an open effort, has built xAPI Video Profile that standardises the way Experience API (xAPI) statements must be sent to a Learning Record Store (LRS). The xAPI Video Profile is current in draft stage, as on Oct 20, 2017.
Community Effort Sponsored By
ADL (An initiative of US Department of Defense to improve learning)
Working xAPI Video Profile Demo:
Here is a working prototype of the Video Profile in action:
The live data from above prototype is being recorded in a GrassBlade Cloud LRS instance. The login details are:
Login URL: https://videocop.gblrs.com/
Results and Key Advantages:
- Progress is tracked as actual percentage of the video watched.
- Completion is calculated only based on entire video being consumed.
- Video resumes from where the user left.
- Past progress of a user is remembered and added in calculating updated progress or completion. So, users can consume the video in parts and in any order.
- Information about segments of video played is stored, and can be visualised as a neat heat map diagram.
- Relevant context information like screen size, displayed video size, video quality, volume, etc are tracked into the LRS.
- Important user interactions are captured. (Play, Pause, Seek, Volume Change, Fullscreen, etc)