Most of the authoring tools including Articulate, Captivate, iSpring, and others support resuming the content from where you left off.
Upon attempting an xAPI Content, a Registration ID is allocated to the user, which remains unchanged until the user completes the said content. The xAPI Content is allowed to resume using the same registration ID until completion. However, upon the user’s successful completion of the xAPI Content, the next attempt would start afresh from the beginning.
With GrassBlade xAPI Companion, you can customize this behavior using the “registration” property on the xAPI Content page.
Please check the examples given below:
Always Resume the xAPI Content
Problem: You want the xAPI Content to always resume from where users left off even if users have completed the content.
- Go to xAPI Content edit page > xAPI Content Details > Override Global Settings > Registration
- Change the “auto” value to a fixed registration id.
- Example of Registration ID: 36fc1ee0-2849-4bb9-b697-71cd4cad1b6e.
- Registration ID should be in UUID format and 32 digits long. You can create a unique UUID by changing the numbers and characters given in the example.
Note: It will reset the progress of all the in-progress users and they will start from the beginning. After a new attempt with fixed registration id, the progress will not reset even after completion.
Resume till incomplete (default)
Problem: Let users resume from where they left off and reset the progress upon completion so that the next attempt begins from the start.
Solution: You can leave the registration value blank, or set the registration value to auto
Resume for Guest Users
Guest Users, i.e. the users who have not logged in to the WordPress site cannot resume using the “Resume till incomplete” method mentioned above.
Problem: You want a resume feature for guest users to work.
Solution: Please use the Example 1 i.e. Always resume the xAPI Content.
Downsides in Guest Access
All users along with logged-in users will be on Example 1 now.
If the “Allow Guests” option is selected in the Guest Access settings:
- An email id based on IP is used for user identification. So, the resume will work only if IP doesn’t change.
- If another user with the same IP visits the content, he will be assumed to be the same user, and the content will resume.
If “Allow Guests (ask Name/Email)” is selected:
- The provided email is used. So, if the user enters another email id, he will resume where the user with that email id had left.
If you have many xAPI Contents to update, please use the bulk settings feature.